“A dream has materialized in Hampton County”
The quote above titles an article from the Hampton County Guardian on November 8, 1950, acknowledging the opening and dedication of Hampton General Hospital. The original hospital was constructed on over 14 acres of land given by Mrs. Elizabeth M. Rentz in memory of her late husband, William H. Rentz of Varnville.
The history of Hampton Regional Medical Center is the history of medicine in Hampton County. The hospital, then known as Hampton General Hospital, was built at a total cost of $283,000 and dedicated on November 1, 1950. Hampton General Hospital was a county-owned facility that was governed by a board of directors selected by the Hampton County Council. This is a typical form of hospital governance and not uncommon today. The hospital was renovated and added-on over a dozen times throughout the years
In 1995, Hampton County Council converted the hospital to a private, not-for-profit hospital (a 501(c)3 corporation) and turned the governance over to a community based voluntary board of directors. At that time, the hospital was renamed Hampton Regional Medical Center. Under a new form of governance and new management, HRMC has prospered and grown to become one of the county's largest employers. The hospital is at the center of a growing medical community, and in 2005 was named one of the Top 100 hospitals in the United States by Cleverley & Associates.
In the fall of 2008, Hampton Regional Medical Center moved into its new facility with an adjacent Medical Office Building housing physicians specializing in internal medicine, cardiology, orthopedics, general surgery, ophthalmology, podiatry and neurology. HRMC became an affiliate of Roper St. Francis Healthcare in Charleston in early 2009; this affiliation provides access to the finest health care technology, virtually every medical specialty, and nearly 800 physicians.